Objections to gay marriage rights
There are lots of different versions of the arguments put forward to oppose/demonize gay marriage rights, but the list below hopefully covers most of them in a general format - almost all the arguments you hear will fit either under one of these broader categories, or across more than one.
- It's wrong.
- It's against God's law/the Bible/the beliefs of religion X.
- It's (meaning homosexuality) not natural.
- Marriage is about procreation and gay people can't procreate/but gay people can't have children.
- It's icky/makes me uncomfortable.
- Marriage should be between a man and a woman.
- Gay marriage would destroy/reduce/undermine all marriage.
- I don't like gay people.
- It's against the law.
Now, I may have missed some, and feel free to chime in with those, but broadly speaking every argument I have heard used against gay marriage fits in one or more of these at a time. And I'll be honest right from the start, I think they are all bloody stupid. Not a one of those is an argument that makes me want to re-evaluate my position - they are all idiotic. So let's take a look at why.