- Define what you believe astrology to be and what uses you think it has.
- Whether you believe that celestial bodies directly influence and affect events or personalities, or whether you believe that they merely correspond to the occurrence of events, what mechanism connects life on Earth with these celestial bodies to the extent you believe?
- Which event is more important astrologically - a person's birth or a person's conception? Why?
- At what point are you considered 'born' in your system of astrology? Why?
- Does your system of astrology take into account precession? Why or why not?
- Do you use tropical or sidereal forms of astrology? Why?
- Was your system affected by the change from Julian to Gregorian calendar? Why or why not?
- If you believe in horoscopes, do you believe that the only worthwhile horoscopes are prepared for individuals or do you believe generic ones (such as the daily overviews given in newspapers, magazines and on astrology.com) serve a useful purpose? Why or why not?
- Does astrology only work on the Earth, or would it work for an alien life form standing on another planet across the galaxy? Would it be exactly the same?
- How have you discounted cognitive bias from your conclusion that astrology works?
- What would it take to persuade you that astrology does not work as claimed?
- The astrology challenge: If I provide you with the time and place of my birth, could you write an astrological prediction for me for the year 2006 as if you were writing it on January 1st of that year? If not, why not?
This last one is very important. As yet I have issued this challenge to some half a dozen astrologers (mostly over at Skeptico's blog) who were absolutely convinced of the power of astrology. The only one who accepted was one who practised astrology as a hobby, and the results were pretty poor. The others all, without fail, simply never responded again. Funny how these people often don't have courage in their convictions when faced with a challenge that might actually result in failure.
Astrology is bunk. Horoscopes are bunk. I submit that many professional astrologers know this and are simply liars, cheats and frauds. The rest are simply deluded.
If you're an astrologer, why don't you prove us skeptics wrong? Answer the questions, take the challenge.